Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Trip of a Lifetime
i remember asking myself as i walked into the airport after crying like a baby as my wife and 3 year old drove off, "what have i let shaun ray get me into." i looked over 26 people with a sense of disbelief. i saw refuge kids, church leaders, spiritual warriors, and then there was me. "God" i said, "please just help me get through the next ten days so i could get back to my family." little did i know that God had much more in store for me in the next ten days than just getting me home to my family.
i'd like to start by saying that any of you parents who sent your high school or young college students should be so proud. those kids really gave me so much hope and inspiration. they are the face of Jesus and gave me a bar which to shoot for with my two young boys. i pray that God will have favor over my boys like he does over the young group that i got to know this past week.
once we started traveling i really pressed in and asked God to speak to me on this trip and allow me to show Jesus to a hurting place. i was so ready for God to use me in these young kids lives. then it hit me like a ton of bricks. God spoke to me more clearly than ever before. (or i listened better than i ever have before.) our first full day in swazi i met 4 young men that the Holy Spirit laid on my heart and said pour into these guys. at that moment God made it very clear that this trip was not about me, it was about strengthening His Kingdom and giving hope to an almost hopeless place. they were on my heart day and night for 4 days. they were coaches at a local high school we visited and were the 3 on 3 tourney champs at the event we threw at HPC Swazi. i loved on them every chance i got and told them all about Jesus and what He means to me. it was so rewarding to see them at church on sunday morning where i was able to share my testimony, and the Holy Spirit made an impact on there lives forever. i'll never forget that day.
God also allowed me to really get connected with some amazing people along this journey. i was so blessed to be able to share this experience with the group God so obviously orchestrated. the bus rides with tweez and jen pouring into our lives every chance they got, to pastor ben and big dan leading us all around this city, and the young kids who just wanted to be loved on by us. it was favor from God. it just all seemed to make sense. we laughed, cried, prayed and loved together for Jesus. it was one of the best experiences of my life. i'll never forget it.

i would like to thank my wife for never doubting God when we sought Him for me to go on this trip, and my parents and grand-parents for praying and making it possible for me to be there. i also want to thank shaun ray for staying with me for the last 6 months and encouraging me to make the trip. tweez and jen, what you stand for and getting to know you was a highlight for me, and dan and pastor ben you put what seemed to be an impossible trip together for the glory of God. mr rolph being so real and genuine, oh and u too dean. you posses a heart for children that's so amazing dude. kevin and jennifer i admire the fact that you have such a passion for Christ and its dear to me because we come from similar circles. dave you and mallory provided such an energy for Jesus it was hard not to catch what you guys have. all of you guys that i haven't mentioned please know that God has etched each one of you and this trip in my heart for eternity. i humbly say that i loved sharing this journey with you and hope there are more opportunities for us to do life together.

remember to keep what we shared close to your heart, and to never stop praying for what we experienced in swazi. lift up HPC Swazi and Children's Cup to God and let Him have his way there. can't wait to go back. Ya-Bo!

rico

No comments: